Apple has told Mac owners regulating OS X Lion which a beta of Messages, a deputy for both a comparison iChat present messaging use as good as SMS (short summary service) texting, will end Dec. 14.
To keep regulating a service, business contingency ascent to OS X Mountain Lion. Emails announcing a shutoff began reaching Lion users final week.
Apple introduced a beta of Messages for Lion in Feb to one side a warn recover of a developer preview of OS X Mountain Lion. The latter went upon sale in Jul for $ 19.99, a third reduction than a dual predecessors.
Mountain Lion includes Messages, as good as multiform alternative facilities as good as services which debuted upon iOS, Apple’s mobile handling complement which powers a iPhone as good as iPad.
Apple pulled a download of a Messages beta for Lion in mid-June, when during a annual developers discussion association management team suggested some-more inform about Mountain Lion, together with a cost as good as a Jul boat date. Lion users, however, could still run Messages if they had already commissioned a beta.
But Messages’ destiny is underneath a obvious cloud: Last Tuesday, VirnetX both won a $ 368 million jury outcome opposite Apple in a obvious transgression box as good as filed a follow-up legal box alleging violations by latest Apple products, together with Mountain Lion.
The box which was motionless final week as good as a latest fit both cited FaceTime as good as Messages, Apple’s video discuss focus as good as SMS text-replacement, respectively, as infringing 4 VirnetX patents.
According to Web metrics association Net Applications, OS X Mountain Lion has grabbed we estimate 26% of a Mac handling complement use bottom given a Jul roll-out.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, confidence issues, Apple, Web browsers as good as ubiquitous record violation headlines for Computerworld. Follow Gregg upon Twitter during @gkeizer, upon Google+ or allow to Gregg’s RSS feed . His email residence is firstname.lastname@example.org.
See some-more by Gregg Keizer upon Computerworld.com.
- Apple to kill Messages beta for OS X Lion subsequent month
- OS X Mountain Lion’s vehement ascent gait cools
- Apple rolls out iOS 6, upgrades Mountain Lion
- OS X Mountain Lion grabs 20% share of all Macs
- Apple’s Mountain Lion clears 10% bar, right away runs 1 in 10 Macs
- Macs during risk from ‘super dangerous’ Java zero-day
- Mac laptop owners inform condensed battery hold up after Mountain Lion upgrade
- Mac users left wondering if OS X Snow Leopard’s retired
- Customers squeeze 3M copies of OS X Mountain Lion, says Apple
- Mountain Lion grabs 3% share of OS X in initial 48 hours
Read some-more about Mac OS X in Computerworld’s Mac OS X Topic Center.